Young people who have not yet received their iPads are scheduled to do so next week. A wider network issue this week which is not linked to Inspire Learning, has meant we simply need to change some of the dates for pupils to get their iPads. The programme remains on track and we continue to work with the Inspire Learning team who remain based in the school for the roll-out.
If your child is not going to be in School for any reason, you must notify the School Office in order to avoid any Groupcall messages being sent out. You can either phone 01573 227440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile Phones at KHS from Monday 28th October
To tie in with the start of the inspire program at KHS and all students having an iPad the rules around the use of mobile phones in KHS are changing with effect from Monday 28th and will be as follows:
- Mobile Phones must be switched off, or on silent, in student’s bags as soon as they enter the building.
- Phones should not be ‘worn’ i.e. be in pockets, tucked into trousers etc.
- Phones should not be out during any class or in the corridors for any reason.
- Students may use their phones at break and lunchtimes in the canteen and school grounds.
Why are we making this change?
- Students will now have access to digital learning resources via their iPad’s.
- Mobile phones cause distractions and disruption to learning. Pupils focus is drawn to their phones and away from their learning.
- We are preparing young people for their life beyond school and, ultimately, the workplace. The majority of workplaces do not allow the personal use of mobile phones during the working day.
How can home support us with this?
- Talk about this change with your young person(s)
- Please do not call or message them during class time. If you need to contact them urgently please do so via the school office.
Many Thanks for your support with this.
S3 Battlefields Trip 2020
The Battlefields trip for 2020 is taking place on Saturday 23rd to Thursday 28th May 2020. An email with the letter and information was issued to S3 parents this week. All completed forms must be returned to the School Office by Wednesday 30th October. Hard copies are available from the School Office if necessary.
School Show – Bugsy Malone
This year KHS are staging a school production of Bugsy Malone. It’s shaping up to be a fabulous performance but as in all stage shows, costs are increasingly rising. We are therefore looking for willing local businesses to support us by sponsoring the show. Your business will be advertised in the programme and the options are as follows:
- Name and logo in the programme: minimum sponsorship donation of £5
- Full A5 advert: minimum sponsorship donation of £20
If you feel your business could support our show in this way, please contact Lisa Fisher on email@example.com
Applications for 2020 Social Mobility Foundation Programmes now open!
The Social Mobility Foundation (SMF) supports ambitious young people from low-income backgrounds to access top universities and careers. They run programmes which are completely free of charge programmes and feature mentoring, internships with top companies, university application support, and professional development and skills workshops for high achieving young people across the UK.
The charity provides support in 11 professional sectors, including Law, Medicine and Accountancy. Students apply to join the programmes in S5. Support continues from S5 throughout university to help young people obtain graduate jobs.
The SMF is also running free residential internship programmes for students interested in Accountancy, Banking & Finance, Digital, Engineering & Physics, Law and Medicine (please note that the Medicine residential is open to applications from English students only). Students undertake a one or two week internship with the host organisation and take part in fun evening and weekend activities. They also receive advice sessions, opportunities to build professional skills and a dedicated mentor before and after the internship.
Applications are now open. More information and the closing dates can be found on the website here: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5159030/APP2020/
The deadline for applications is 12 noon, Wednesday 18th December 2019.
Please contact the Social Mobility Foundation directly if you have any further queries: www.socialmobility.org.uk
The University of Edinburgh – New Event for S5/S6 Pupils
Go Figure! Understanding Social Inequality Through Numbers
- Calling all S5/S6 pupils and their teachers
- Join us for an interactive workshop at the University of Edinburgh
- This is a free event for students and teachers
- Friday 8th November from 2.00-4.30pm
To find out more visit the event webpage
To register for the free event please click here
We expect your students to gain:
- A hands-on experience in analysing quantitative data by using statistical software (Excel);
- The understanding that you can combine an interest in maths and social science during your studies at university;
- The opportunity to meet current Q-Step students and hear about their experiences while studying at the University of Edinburgh;
- A taster of a typical afternoon at the University of Edinburgh;
- Familiarity with a range of career pathways for graduates who combine social subjects with quantitative methods.
KHS Canteen w/c 28/10/19
|Scottish Favourites||Chicken Supreme with Rice, Beef Lasagne with Garlic Bread or Macaroni Cheese with Garlic Bread||Roast Beef Dinner, Chicken Sausages with Roast Potatoes or Vegetarian Sausages with Roast Potatoes||Curry Day||Fish & Chips, Chicken Paella or Omelette with Chips|
|Hot Sandwiches||Cook’s Choice or Panini||Cook’s Choice or Panini||Cook’s Choice or Panini||Cook’s Choice or Panini|
|Cold Sandwiches||Selection of Cold Sandwiches||Selection of Cold Sandwiches||Selection of Cold Sandwiches||Selection of Cold Sandwiches|
|Jacket Potato||Cheese, Beans or Salad Bar||Cheese, Beans or Salad Bar||Cheese, Beans or Salad Bar||Cheese, Beans or Salad Bar|
|Pizza/Pasta||Cheese Pizza or Pasta King||Cheese Pizza or Pasta King||Cheese Pizza or Pasta King||Cheese Pizza or Pasta King|
|Soup||Lentil||Tomato||Sweet Potato and Chilli||Chicken Noodle|
Gluten Free options also available.
All these meals can always be ordered early in the day or on the day before as a Grab and Go to save pupils waiting at lunchtime.
Job / Apprenticeship Opportunities